Image Map

Friday, May 17, 2013

Baby Burp Cloths

So I know a craft project is slightly off our normal topic but I wanted to share a simple tutorial for making baby burp clothes.  I have made burp clothes previously using cloth diapers and flannel fabric.  But when my friend Terra had a baby a few years ago she got some really cute ones that I wanted to try to emulate. 

Supplies:
Makes 2
-Burp cloth pattern
-1/4 yd printed cotton material of your choice
-1/4 yd soft backing material of your choice - flannel, chenille, etc
-Coordinating thread Icould also use contrasting)

I chose to use this pattern found on Google images.  I have 2 copies of it so I can make two burp cloths at a time.
  • Make sure your fabric is ironed flat then lay it out on your workspace with salvage edges together.  The pattern should be placed with flat side on the fold as indicated.  You should be able to fit the pattern on the 1/4 yd of fabric twice.  The left side is placed on the fold of the fabric below
  • Pin both pattern pieces to the fabric as shown above.
  • Cut around the pattern piece to get 2 pieces of your front fabric.
  • Unfold the patterned fabric pieces and lay flat on top of backing material- WRONG SIDES TOGETHER.  This is important to note.  Most sewing projects want you to lay the right sides together but this burp cloth is intended to have a raw edge. Pin fabric wrong sides together.
  • Sew around the outside of the burp cloth allowing approximately 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Since the stitches show I used a zig zag stitch but any stitch will work.  I used white thread but you could use contrasting since it is going to show for an extra design element.
  • Trim backing fabric to be the same size/shape as the cotton patterned fabric.
I made 3 different sets as shown above and cut pattern pieces for 3 more identical sets.  I find it's easier to make a bunch at a time and keep them on hand rather than to make a couple each time you need a baby gift.  I like to pair them into a set of 2 with coordinating fabrics rather than 2 of the same in each package. You can roll them up and tie them with a ribbon for a cute little present.  My go to baby shower gift is usually a combination of books and something hand made.
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Burp clothes a a necessity for any nursery and these ones are so cute. Welcome and thank you for sharing them at Fluster's Creative Muster Party. Now that you found our party I hope that you continue to join us every Wednesday. Pinned!

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete