Image Map

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Homemade Pesto

Fluster Buster
I'm linking up today with Fluster Buster's Creative Muster to share how to make homemade pesto.  Pesto is really simple to make because the food processor does most of the work.  I'd say it takes less than 10 minutes to make.  I was working in the garden this morning pruning some things back, picking tomatoes, etc. and thought I would make some pesto since our basil plant was getting a little out of control.  I also pinned a recipe this morning for a pesto pasta that uses roma tomatoes and so now I've done the prep work for to make that meal next week.  Also if you're interested, see this recipe for Kale Almond Pesto I posted back in the Spring.


Ingredients:
2 C (packed) fresh basil
1/2 C parmesan romano cheese, grated
1/2 C EVOO (I realize it looks like more but it is just the camera angle)
1/3 C pine nuts (or in this case one 2 oz jar)
3-4 cloves garlic
S&P

It is really as simple as throwing all the ingredients in the food processor and blending them right up.  I usually start with the basil and the pine nuts since they take a little more processing.  Then I throw in the rest of the ingredients and process until well mixed.


I put my pesto in 4 oz jelly jars when I'm finished and then freeze them.  This recipe will make two 4 oz jars. They should keep in the freezer for about a year but fresh in your fridge, it will probably only last 3-4 days, a week max.  Here is one of my favorite pesto recipes, Chicken Sausage & Pesto Pasta.  I'd love to hear what you all make with your pesto.



And just for fun, I picked these flowers and roma tomatoes in my garden today too!


 photo dinner-signature_zpsccb424d2.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment