Our friend Jason loves shrimp and grits and has been asking me to make it for him forever. I made it a couple months ago and he had a last minute meeting come up at work and wasn't able to make it so tonight we had Jason over for dinner.
1/2 C stone ground grits
2 C mild cheddar cheese
1/4 C butter
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
6 pieces of bacon
1 bunch green onions, cut to small pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
Small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped.
1 T lemon juice
1. Cook grits according to package instruction.
2. When grits are finished cooking, add butter and cheese. Stir til cheese and butter are melted and mixed into grits well - clearly this is not a healthy recipe! Salt & pepper to taste.
3. Thaw and peel shrimp (fresh shrimp are not readily available here)
4. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Set bacon aside but reserve grease in pan. When cool, crumble bacon.
5. Cook shrimp in the bacon grease. This gives it tons of flavor. It doesn't take long to cook the shrimp, approximately 2-4 minutes. They are ready when they turn pink.
6. Add green onion, garlic, parsley, lemon, and crumbled bacon into the skillet with shrimp. Stir together.
7. Spoon grits into dish and top with shrimp mixture. I've also seen shrimp & grits served in a martini glass as an appetizer.
We ate this meal with a fresh salad from our garden.