Image Map

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Macaroni & Cheese

My mom used to make this macaroni when I was a kid and it is so good.  Of course when I was little I preferred the fake cheesy stuff from the box.  Now I know that this is much better.  My mom never makes it anymore so I made it for Thanksgiving.  My dad and brother were pretty excited, especially when there were plenty of leftovers.  I will tell you that this makes a HUGE portion.  Half of the recipe definitely makes more than enough for a family of 4.  I think the portion must be so large because growing up my mom's family had 6 kids and 2 adults to feed.  The whole portion makes a 9x13 pan (a deep one at that - I use a Le Creuset stoneware dish), half portion can fit in an 8x8 square pan.
 
 
 
Ingredients
6 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
1 stick butter
1/2 C flour
4 C milk
1 T onion flakes
1  T worschestire 
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
16 oz American cheese or mild cheddar

Cook noodles according to package instructions.
Melt butter.
Add flour and stir together until mixed.



Add milk, onion flakes, Worcestershire,  garlic powder & pepper.  I never measure these ingredients and I definitely think I use more garlic powder and pepper than called for.
Heat mixture over medium high heat until boiling and thickened, stirring constantly.
Add 1/2 of cheese to mixture and stir until melted.
Strain macaroni and stir together with sauce. 
Spread in casserole dish.
Top with remaining cheese.  
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.



 
 photo dinner-signature_zpsccb424d2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment