Image Map

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Elvis' Favorite Cake

After college I lived with my friend Rhonda for 5 years.  Rhonda loves Elvis! To the extent that we had several life sized Elvis cutouts on the wall and she liked to celebrate his birthday.  I learned a lot of facts about Elvis during that time.  For no particular reason, she deemed Pineapple Upside Down Cake to be Elvis's favorite cake and also his favorite shot.  In no way is this factual.  I asked her the other day why she chose this cake and she said she just picked something.  I would say it was much more likely to involve peanut butter than pineapples.  But, that being said ever since then every time I see Pineapple Upside Down Cakes, I always think "Elvis' favorite cake".

You may have seen on Friday I posted a picture of mini pineapple upside down cakes.  Instead of making those, I made this shortcut version of Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  I call it short cut because I used a cake mix box as the base rather than making the whole thing from scratch.  
Recipe compliments of Betty Crocker


Ingredients
1 box Betty Crocker yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 20 oz can pineapple rings, juice reserved
Handful of marischino cherries
1/4 C butter
1 C brown sugar
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter in 9x13 dish.
Top with brown sugar.
Place pineapple rings on brown sugar butter mixture.
Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
Mix cake mix according to package instructions using pineapple juice in place of water.  For me I had about 3/4 C of pineapple juice and so I supplemented with 1/4 C of water to reach the 1 C water that was called for.  Also 3 eggs & vegetable oil.  Stir together.
Spread cake mix over pineapples.
Bake approximately 45 minutes.
Upon removing the cake from the oven use knife to separate cake from side of dish.
Flip over onto a serving tray or in my case, baking sheet.  Leave pan on top for a few minutes so all the pineapple/brown sugar goodness can drip all down the cake.
 photo dinner-signature_zpsccb424d2.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment