Image Map

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Back to My Roots



I was out in Fauquier County today so I decided to take a little detour on the way back and try and find my great great grandparents house that I haven't been to in ages.  The last time I remember going by there my dad drove me and there was a teepee in the yard. That's all I remember.  Since obviously there is no teepee today I wasn't sure if I could find it but I did.






It's such a beautiful old house. Just past the house is the river.




At this point,  I may have called Eric and said I am on a back woods country gravel road in Orlean if you don't hear from me in the next couple hours come look for me.  It's just a single lane gravel road and it was flooded in several spots and had some downed trees across the road.  I had to drive off the road a few times to get around the trees, I do not have 4 wheel drive.  Luckily it was fine.

I also snapped a shot of this house that my dad's great uncle lived in.  He said they used to have a strawberry patch when he was a kid so they would go there to pick them.



My other stop was at the little local cemetery where several family members are buried. I snapped a lot of pictures of the headstones but some are so old they are not readable anymore. Some of them date back to before the Civil War.







There are a bunch more pictures but I'm not going to bore you all with cemetery pictures.  

As I was driving home a storm was rolling in and I caught a few shots of the ominous clouds. Don't worry I stopped the car to take all these pics. 


Sorry if I have bored everyone except my immediate family but I just thought I would put these pictures here to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment