Image Map

Monday, May 13, 2013

Summer Veggie Pasta

I grabbed some fresh veggies at the grocery store today so I decided to make summer veggie pasta for dinner.  This is a simple recipe that you could make with whatever vegetables you have in your house already.


Ingredients
1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
1 red onion
1 pkg grape tomatoes, halved
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 package sausage, any type (Today I used andouille but have also made this before with chicken sausage, turkey sausage, kielbasa, etc)
1 pkg penne
2-3T olive oil
Fresh grated parmesan
S&P

1.  Slice zucchini and squash into slices and then into quarters. 
2.  Cut red onion into pieces that are similar to the size of squash & zucchini.
3.  Dice up several cloves of garlic.  I think I used 5.  This is a personal preference.  We always use way more garlic than most recipes call for.
4.  Slice sausage into slices.
5.  Bring pot of water to boil and cook penne to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
6.  Brown sausage in skillet then remove from skillet and set aside.
7.  Add olive oil to skillet.  I used a tuscan herb flavored olive oil but regular will do.
8.  Add garlic to oil and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
9.  Add all veggies to the skillet except tomatoes and cook until tender. Salt & Pepper to taste.
10.Add sausage back into skillet and cook together a few minutes.  Eric got home at this point and said it smelled delicious.

11.Add halved grape tomatoes at this point and cook for a 2-3 minutes longer.

12.Mix cooked pasta into the skillet with veggies and sausage.  Stir to mix.
13.Add parmesan cheese.  I used about 1/4 cup.  At this point you may want to add some of your reserved pasta water to help blend everything together.  Add a little bit at a time.  I probably added in about 1/4C.  Again the amount of cheese is a personal preference.  I tend to use less, if Eric was cooking this he probably would use much more.



Eat & enjoy!  And if your me, it's off to work for tonight.  Tomorrow's dinner is going to be a crockpot meal as I will be sleeping for the majority of the day.  Check back for the recipe in the next couple days!

-B


No comments:

Post a Comment