Image Map

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Strawberry Pie (no rhubarb this time)

We are celebrating Father's Day today.  Eric was up at 6:30 this morning to put 2 pork butts in the smoker.  It's almost 12 lbs of meat so it will need to cook pretty much all day.  We are also having potato salad with red skin potatoes and dill out of garden.  My mom is bringing broccoli salad and carrot cake.  I am also going to make cauliflower au gratin with the cauliflower, fennel and onion from our CSA portion this week.  I will be back with that recipe tomorrow.  But for now...Eric asked his dad what his favorite dessert was and his response was "strawberry pie is pretty good".   So I am in the process of making strawberry pie.  Hopefully it will be tasty, as I've never made it before and I am serving it to guests on my first try.
Ingredients
9 in pie crust
1 qt strawberries
1 C sugar
3 T corn starch
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

First prepare & bake your crust.  I used a Pillsbury pre-made crust and baked it according to package instructions.

 Next cut up 1/2 of the strawberries into large pieces.  I halved or quartered each depending on the size.  Place cut up strawberries in pie crust once it has cooled.
Take remaining strawberries and place in a saucepan over high heat.  Mash the strawberries and mix with sugar.  Stir and continuing mashing.  Bring to a boil.
Mix water and corn starch together.  Add to strawberry mixture over heat.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.  Stir continually.  When complete, pour this mixture over the strawberries in the pie dish.
Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

I'm sorry ya'll I totally failed at taking pics on this recipe.  Here is one of the last piece of pie but it just doesn't do it justice. 
It was delicious!  I served it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream on each piece.  If you have never made this before, just take heavy whipping cream and throw it in the mixer for a few minutes - it's so much better than Cool Whip.  Next time I make it, I'll take better pictures and there will definitely be a next time!
 photo dinner-signature_zpsccb424d2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment