Image Map

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pasta with Arrabiata Sauce

I thought I'd share how to make arrabiata sauce.  This is one of my favorite types of pasta sauce because it is a little bit spicy.  Sometimes I buy a jar but occasionally I like to make it myself.  
Ingredients
3 T olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
White wine
Crushed red pepper flakes
Salt
First heat olive oil in skillet and brown garlic slightly.  30 seconds to a minute is all you need.
Next add the juice from the can of tomatoes.  Then add the tomatoes.  I usually add them one at a time mashing them up as I go.  I squeeze them with my hand and then break them up even more as I'm cooking.
This is prior to them being completely mashed
Cook together for 5 minutes or so then add white wine.  I like to buy a 4 pack of mini wine bottles for cooking so that I don't have to open a full sized bottle.  I used 1/2 of a small bottle which is about 3 oz of wine.
Next season with salt, a generous pinch & a few shakes of red pepper flakes (probably 1 tsp).
Simmer together for 5-7 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Tonight I put this on penne, usually I do linguine but this is what we had on hand.
 photo dinner-signature_zpsccb424d2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment