Image Map

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole

I started making this dish back in high school and I love it.  I have no idea where I originally found the recipe as I have it written on a scrap of paper in my recipe binder.  I should probably transfer the recipe to something that will last.  I love sweet potatoes but not with marshmallows.  This one is wonderful and has a nice crunchy top.  I took it to 2 Thanksgiving meals this year and it was well received all around.  Even better I had sweet potatoes left from my last CSA portion earlier in November.

 


 
Ingredients
 
3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (usually about 4 large potatoes)
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C granulated sugar
2 T butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 5 oz can evaporated milk
 
Topping
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 C chopped pecans
1 C crushed corn flakes
3/4 C brown sugar
 
 
 
Peel & boil sweet potatoes until very tender.   Then mash.
Add all ingredients through evaporated milk to sweet potatoes and mix well together.
In a separate bowl, mix all ingredients for topping together.
Spread sweet potato mixture into casserole dish - I usually use a 9x5 dish
Top with topping mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

 This is my absolute favorite Thanksgiving side.  I like it so much I make it at Easter too!  Enjoy it!

 photo dinner-signature_zpsccb424d2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment