Image Map

Monday, July 28, 2014

Jalapeno Pepper Jelly

Two summers ago I set out to learn how to can and this was one of the first things I made.  I found this recipe in The Complete Book of Canning from 1982.
 
 
 
Ingredients
(Makes 5-6 1/2 pint jars)
4-5 jalapenos
 4 bell peppers (I used red)
  5 C sugar
1 C White wine vinegar
1 pouch fruit pectin (3 oz)
 
 
 
Prepare jars in hot water bath canning pot.
 
 
Process bell peppers and jalapeno peppers together in a food processor.
Combine pepper mixture, vinegar and sugar in a large pot and bring to a boil.
Boil for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, add pectin, stir together.
 

Return to heat and boil for 1 additional minute.
  

Ladle into hot jars allowing 1/2 inch head space.  Seal jars.
Just a note:  I used red bell peppers so my pepper jelly is red.  If you prefer your pepper jelly to be green you can use green bell peppers.  Or do one batch each way and give it away as Christmas presents.
 photo dinner-signature_zpsccb424d2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment